Sunday, January 17, 2010

Golden Globe Quick Picks

Holy shit, the Golden Globes are tonight! Who knew? Well, here is a quick, commentary-free look at my predictions for the movie categories (I'll save my usual long-windedness for the Oscar noms):

Best Picture - Drama: UP IN THE AIR
Best Picture - Musical/Comedy: (500) DAYS OF SUMMER
Best Actress - Drama: Carey Mulligan, AN EDUCATION
Best Actor - Drama: George Clooney, UP IN THE AIR
Best Actress - Musical/Comedy: Meryl Streep, JULIE & JULIA
Best Actor, Musical/Comedy: Michael Stuhlbarg, A SERIOUS MAN
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, PRECIOUS
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Best Animated Film: FANTASTIC MR. FOX
Best Foreign Language Film: BROKEN EMBRACES
Best Director: Jason Reitman, UP IN THE AIR
Best Screenplay: DISTRICT 9
Best Original Score: UP
Best Original Song: "The Weary Kind," CRAZY HEART

Ohhh okay, just a little commentary: For the record, I think that THE HURT LOCKER will probably win Best Picture & Director, and I can't argue with that (that movie just missed my Top 10 by a couple of spots)... but I'll be rooting for UP IN THE AIR. (Or even AVATAR, just for shits and giggles, though it is more deserving of a special achievement award of some kind.) Really, you can't go wrong with any of the Drama nominees. Musical/Comedy, on the other hand, is more of a crapshoot... and by that I mean, a couple of the nominees are actually crap.

As for the TV awards... um... I guess I'll be rooting for THE OFFICE wherever it is nominated, as well as Jane Lynch for GLEE. Other than that, these awards will be my drink/snack/bathroom breaks because frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.

We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment