Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Got Yer Golden Globes Right Here!

The Golden Globes may be a crock of shite because, really, who the hell is the Hollywood Foreign Press and why do they get an entire awards show dedicated to their whims and fancies? Bastards. But at least this year, they mostly made the right choices in both the nominations and winners, so the show served its purpose as a fun warm-up for Oscar night. Let's look back at some of the highlights:

• First and foremost, KATE!!! It was amazing to see my longtime favorite actress, Kate Winslet, win Best Supporting Actress for THE READER... but stunning to see her also win Best Drama Actress for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD! I picked Meryl Streep to win the latter after touting her performance for the past two months, but I am now changing my tune -- I believe that finally, after five Oscar noms and zero wins, this will be Kate's year! Plus, damn if she wasn't the sexiest, most glamorous movie star in the room... mmmm.

• I was very happy about SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE's sweep. Such a great movie that deserves big accolades. Plus I heard that its popularity may lead to a return to primetime for WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE! That would rule. I used to watch that shite all the time and call the hotline every day to try and get on the show. Dunno if I would've ever gone all the way, but I know would've done well, dammit! Maybe next time around, it'll happen....

• I still think that Frank Langella gave the year's best male performance in FROST/NIXON, but how can you not root for Mickey Rourke? The dude is a rock star, and it'd be highly entertaining to see him give an acceptance speech on the Oscar stage. Also, he's fucking Evan Rachel Wood, which is as mind-boggling as it is creepy, since she played his daughter in THE WRESTLER. But hey, that's Mickey!

• No surprise that Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor, and it was very nice indeed. Whether or not he REALLY deserves to win is debatable, but what can ya do. I'll allow it at the Golden Globes. At the Oscars... we'll see.

• Biggest surprise was probably Colin Farrell winning Best Comedy Actor for IN BRUGES. Actually, I am most surprised that anyone even remembered that movie, which sort of came and went in early '08. Funny and highly entertaining movie, though... a deserving win.

• I really need to see this movie HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, starring Best Comedy Actress Sally Hawkins. Meant to see it last year but never got around to it. To BitTorrent!

• Spielberg tributes are always cool, because we get to see clips of some of the greatest movies of all time. He is and always will be the man. As an aside, my girlfriend got mad when I said that I would've ditched her to sit at the table with Spielberg, Scorcese, Hanks & Co. But am I really in the wrong here? :)

FAVORITE HOTTIES: Kate (obviously), Salma Hayek/Penelope Cruz (they go together), the gorgeous Indian chick from Slumdog Millionaire, Amy Adams, and still-super-cute Drew Barrymore. WEIRDEST: Renee Zellweger, whose alien transformation is nearly complete. MOST UNCOMFORTABLE: Miley Cyrus' 16-year-old in-your-face cleavage... are we all now on a government list for having seen that?


And that's that. Oscar noms are announced next Thursday, Jan. 22nd, and you can bet that I'll be here shortly thereafter with a complete rundown! BRING IT, ACADEMY BITCHES!

No comments:

Post a Comment